One of the most common questions I have seen over the years I have been on IRC is “how do you get more people in your chat room?”. There are many approaches you can take to help grow your chat room – some better than others. I’m here to share with you some of the best and most effective ways to help your chat room fill up with chatters.
- The first thing I typically recommend is to do a /list when you connect to WyldRyde and see what some of the larger channels on the network are and join them. Of the channels you join from the /list become acquainted with the current chatters in the room. Ideally you want to become friends with these people so they will want hang out in your channel too.
- Do not spam your chat at any point! You do not want to come across as spammer because that automatically give you a bad reputation and you will never get anyone in there or worse it may be closed down due to spamming. As I mentioned in tip number one, become friends with the people in the chat room because occasionally a chat room owner will let you share your chat room in theirs so people will find out about it.
- If you have a website – use it! Our new flash chat will be available soon so be sure to embed your chat room on your site! In the mean time feel free to setup a Mibbit Widget.
- If you have a twitter account - use it! Share your chat room’s name and our address: irc.wyldryde.org so people can come find and join you.
- If you have become friendly with someone on WyldRyde and would like to invite them to your channel you can use the /invite command (/invite nick #chatroom). Note: Please do not use this command to spam or flood users with invites if we receive reports that you are doing it we will be forced to look into the issue and possibly close your channel down after several complaints and warnings.
There are 5 easy ways you can promote your chat room on WyldRyde! I should also mention that we will be starting a new tradition – chat room of the month. What we will be doing is featuring a new chat room every month! Each month we will pick a new channel to recommend and write a blog post about the channel itself and/or any website or community it is associated with. The chat will be featured on the sidebar of WyldRyde.org and we will also tweet out the blog post which talks about the recommended chat room. We plan to start this very soon so keep an eye out!
If for whatever reason you do not want your chat room featured on WyldRyde, please just let us know and we will be more than happy to adhere to your request.
Filed Under: FAQ